Builders Pre-Construction Termite & Moisture Barrier
RIP Termite & Pest Control Services is a licensed installer of KORDON TERMITE & MOISTURE BARRIER. We can also advise builders and their clientele on what is required to protect the property from termites and avoid related legal liabilities. RIP Termite & Pest Control Services uses only the BEST: We consider KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier as the leading termite barrier system for homes and commercial buildings in order to comply with BCA and Council requirements for termite protection.
KORDON TMB offers long-term termite protection to new buildings and acts as a moisture vapour barrier if installed under a concrete on ground flooring. KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier can be used in wall cavities, against retaining walls, around plumbing penetrations, infill and raft slabs and other types of constructions to form an impenetrable barrier against subterranean termites. KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier was developed in Australia by Bayer to suit local conditions.
KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier has been extensively tested by the CSIRO, ABSAC, BCA and the Australian Pest Control Industry. Manufactured by Bayer to strict standards, the KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier system is universally accepted by councils and meets the requirements of the Building Code of Australia and AS3660.1 The Termite Protection Standard for New Buildings.
KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier - how it protects a building
KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier is made of a geotextile fibrous webbing containing a termiticide chemical (deltamethrin), which is sandwiched between 2 sheets of plastic. Deltamethrin is highly repellant to termites and will remove them on contact. Unlike the alternatives KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier is easy to install. RIP Termite & Pest Control Services has installed KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier in thousands of homes without one single termite problem - it has proven 100% effective in providing a TERMITE BARRIER in accordance with BCA and local government requirements. KORDON repels or removes termites that attempt to go around or through the KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier in a wall cavity. The chemical contained in the fibrous webbing in the KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier product (deltamethrin) is a highly effective termiticide. For this reason the KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier product is the preferred termite barrier product by leading home and commercial builders and specified by architects in all conditions across Victoria and Australia.
Advantages of the KORDON TMB as a Termite Moisture Barrier
- Convenience for builders: It’s simple, yet ingenious design is uniquely suited to effective and efficient installation on a building site with minimum disruption and organisation by the head building contractor. The average perimeter installation only takes a few hours and becomes an integral part of the building process.
Flexibility of application: KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier is sufficiently flexible to meet even the most difficult and complicated situations, such as, buildings with multiple penetrations or step downs. KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier can be molded around unusual shapes and can quickly be cut and joined to form a continuous barrier.
- Made Tough for Building Site Conditions: KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier is a robust product. It takes a sharp knife to cut Kordon, a blunt object has little chance of penetrating the product. If a hole is made accidentally, it can be easily repaired.
- Consistency of Product: Each square metre of KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier contains a consistent rate of 1 gram of deltamethrin. KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier is manufactured to strict quality guidelines and quality control procedures by Bayer Environmental Science.
- Long Term Warranty: When correctly installed by a Bayer accredited installer, the KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier system provides a 'Life Of The Building' warranty backed by Bayer Environmental Science.
- Environmentally Safe: Bayer has declared KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier to be harmless to people and allergy free product. KORDON Termite & Moisture Barrier is recommended for primary schools and for aged care buildings. The deltamethrin chemical is a synthetic pyrethroid insecticide – meaning it is modeled on the natural extract of the pyrethrum plant.
What is Kordon?
When a homeowner finds evidence of termite activity in their home, the termites have already been present for some time. It is only through the damage they have caused that they actually become visible to the homeowner. This is because termites typically travel out from their nest in search of food by means of underground tunnels that can extend up to 100 metres away from the home. Kordon is a product designed by Bayer that is installed in your home while it is being built to ensure termites cannot enter your home through the foundations.
It is a flexible and durable laminate sheet that is applied to critical areas of your home during the construction process, in order to protect your home from termites trying to enter through underground tunnels.
Kordon Termite Barrier achieves this through the following ways:
- Providing a physical and chemical barrier between your home and the soil beneath.
- Kordon is comprised of two layers of robust flexible laminate, with a chemical called Deltamethrin in between, which is highly repellent to termites.
- Kordon is installed under your home during the construction process and layered into areas where termites may seek easy access to your home.
- Termites, unable to enter your home via underground means, are forced to travel above ground where their over ground tunnels are visible.
- This ensures termites will be detectable by RIP Termite & Pest Control Services during the annual inspection where the appropriate steps can be taken towards protecting your home from termites.
What is Deltamethrin?
Deltamethrin is the active ingredient in Kordon that sits between the two layers of laminate. It repels termites and in high enough doses or long enough exposure is fatal to termites. Deltamethrin is a pesticide from the group known as synthetic pyrethroids. Synthetic Pyrethroids are a common group of pesticide with low toxicity to animals and humans.
Because of its low toxicity Deltamethrin is safe for use to domestic situations and is the active ingredient in many pesticides sold for home use, as well as used in sensitive constructions such as primary schools and aged care facilities.
How does Kordon work?
Every year termites cause millions of dollars worth of damage to Australian properties, often because the homeowner is unaware that they even have termites in their home.
Termites build a network of underground tunnels to branch out from their nest in search of food that can extend up to 100 metres away from the nest.
The purpose of having Kordon installed in your home is to:
- Form a physical barrier between your home and the ground.
- Create a layer of chemical repellent that will deter termites from trying to enter your home.
- Force any termites attacking your home to create external, above-ground tunnels
- Ensure that if you do have termites in your home, the signs will be visible to the homeowner or RIP Termite & Pest Control Services during a termite inspection.
These above-ground tunnels, also known as 'mud tracks', can be spotted easily by RIP Termite & Pest Control Services during an annual inspection. This will ensure that the presence of termites is discovered early on, which could save homeowners thousands of dollars worth of timber repairs.
Why is Kordon important?
Kordon Termite Barrier is an essential part of the construction of any home, as it protects your home from subterranean entry by termites.
Unfortunately, having a concrete slab isn’t enough to ensure your home is protected from underground termite entry.
Termites can enter your home without detection through:
- Cracks in the concrete slab.
- Rivets or grooves formed at the edge of the slab during the pouring process.
- Travelling through or around pipes sticking through the slab into the soil.
- Tunnelling beneath the footing around your home.
This is why it is important to have Kordon installed during the construction of your house as a means of protecting these areas, which could be potential entry points for termites.
How long does Kordon last?
Bayer understands that your home is an investment and a major asset, and as the company responsible for the development of products that help protect your investment and asset, rest assured Bayer products undergo extensive testing and research before they are available to homeowners.
Exposure Trials conducted by CSIRO Ecosystem Science have proven the effectiveness of Kordon Termite Barrier over a minimum of 30 years. Trials were conducted across a range of sites around Australia containing various species of termites known to cause significant structural damage to buildings.
The CSIRO commenced the trials back in 1989 and each year examinations have been conducted to determine any termite damage to the test samples. After more than 30 years, all Kordon Termite Barriers placed for the purpose of the study have not been penetrated by termites.
The CSIRO trial results prove Kordon Termite Barrier is effective for a minimum of 30 years under high termite pressure. No other termite barrier has this amount of real time field trial data.
Why do I need a Kordon inspection?
- Although Kordon has a proven effectiveness for a minimum of 30 years, termites can still enter your home:
Via the external walls.
Through unprotected renovations conducted after your home's construction.
- Over the Kordon Barrier if there is a build-up of plant matter around the perimeter of the home.
- Around external piping.
A yearly inspection of your home ensures that any conditions that may be conducive to a termite attack can be identified before they become a problem. This also ensures that in the event of termites entering your home, you are able to eliminate the termite infestation before the termites can cause extensive damage to your home.
How is Kordon installed?
Kordon is a flexible and durable laminate that is installed in your home by an accredited Kordon Installer while it is being built. It acts as a physical and chemical termite barrier, covering those areas of your home that may be susceptible to termites entering through underground tunnels.
The purpose of having a Kordon barrier in your home is to ensure that any termites attempting to enter your home will need to do this via the external walls of your home, building their mud tunnels up above ground and making their activity highly visible. This ensures that a pest control professional can address the termite problem before the termites do extensive damage to your home.
The two main types of Kordon installations
Kordon Termite Barrier (TB) – installed in conjunction with a concrete slab.
Kordon can be installed as a perimeter termite barrier to all building types such as, but not limited to:
- in-fill slabs
- waffle pods
- slab edge rebates
- tilt-slab or bearer
- joist construction
This ensures that the termites will not be able to enter your home over the edge of the concrete slab.
Kordon can also be installed to provide protection to:
- retaining walls
- internal step downs
- construction joints
- access ramps.
In addition, Kordon is also used as a protection system for pipes and penetrations, which ensures that termites will be unable to enter your home through holes in the slab that are used to allow piping.
Kordon Termite Moisture Barrier (TMB) – installed underneath the concrete slab.
Kordon Termite Moisture Barrier is a complete under-slab barrier, providing both termite and moisture protection. Kordon TMB is installed on the bedding sand before the steel reinforcing mesh is laid and the concrete slab is poured over the top of the steel mesh and the Kordon.
All slab penetrations (holes in the concrete slab that allow piping to run from the ground through to the home) are individually protected by Kordon as part of the full Termite and Moisture Barrier installation.
Bayer Protection Warranty
Bayer offers Australia’s most comprehensive termite protection system, the Bayer Protection Program. If you choose to activate and be covered by the Bayer Protection Program, you will be protected by our exclusive $1m warranty. Unlike many other warranties, this will ensure that remedial action and repair will be completely managed by Bayer if termites happen to gain access to your home and cause damage within the warranty period. This warranty is renewable annually for the life of the structure.
What if I don’t register for the Bayer Protection Program?
Even if you choose not to opt into the Bayer Protection Program, Bayer still stands by the quality of its Kordon Termite Barrier and warrants the physical structure of the barrier from time of installation for six years. Please note that even with a termite barrier installed, termites can gain entry to your home if certain protective measures are not in place.
This warranty does not extend to protection against damage or errors at installation or any infestation occurring where the barrier has not actually been penetrated by termites. You as the homeowner must ensure that your home is regularly inspected and must manage the investigation into the cause and remedy of such infestations.
CALL NOW FOR A FREE QUOTE:
When looking for Reliability, Innovation & Protection look no further than RIP Termite & Pest Control Services the TRUE TERMITE EXPERTS.
Remember the success of any termite barrier installed during construction depends upon the skill and integrity of the TERMITE CONTROL company. For a FREE quotation call RIP Termite & Pest Control Services today on 1300 371 708 or request a FREE quote online.